The largest pachycephalosaurian, Pachycephalosaurus is also the most well-known (by the public) of them. Despite this, it is only known from skull material. The maximum estimated size of the dinosaur has also decreased over time, but is still uncertain.
Scientists have long suspected that Pachycephalosaurus was possible not just a herbivore, but an omnivore. The discovery of a youthful specimen skull from 2018 seems to confirm this theory. The skull shows that Pachycephalosaurus had serrated, blade-like front teeth that are reminiscent of carnivorous theropods.
- Name: Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis
- Name Meaning: Thick-Headed Lizard
- Diet: Herbivore
- Length: 4.5-8 meters (15-26 feet)
- Time Period: Late Cretaceous
- Classification: Pachycephalosauria --> Pachycephalosauridae
- Place Found: Alberta, Canada; Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota, USA
- Describer: Gilmore, 1931
Dinosaur King Statistics
- Attribute: Secret
- Sign: Scissors
- Strength: 2000
- Technique: 1000
- Compatibility: All Tabs
- Scissors (Critical): 620
- Rock/Paper: 540
- Blitz Type (Jap/Eng/Tai 2007/S2/New 1st+/1st/1st Editions; Jap Secret Egg cards; Tai New 5th Edition; Eng/Tai Secret Battle game)
- Tie Type (Jap/Eng/Tai 2007/S2/New 2nd & 4th Editions)
- Strength Type (Japanese Kakushin series)
- Revival Type (Fossil) (Japanese Kakushin 6th Edition)
- Arcade Nickname:
- Japanese: 激烈石頭
- English: The Extreme Hardhead
- Taiwanese: 激烈鐵頭
- Secret Moves:
- Other: Its Super Moves will begin occurring after 7 turns have elapsed in the battle.
- 2007 1st Edition+ (S04-竜; Blitz Type)
- 2007 2nd Edition (SP05-竜; Tie Type)
- 2007 4th Edition (SP07-竜; Tie Type)
- 2007 4th Edition+'s Secret Egg (EGG-010-竜; Blitz Type)
- Kakushin 3rd Edition (SP17-竜; Strength Type)
- Kakushin 4th Edition's Secret Egg II (EGG-020-竜; Blitz Type)
- Kakushin 6th Edition Hyper Battle Museum Fossil Card (KS023-竜; Revival Type)
- New 1st Edition (S03-龍; Blitz Type)
- New 2nd Edition (SP04-龍; Tie Type)
- New 4th Edition (SP07-龍; Tie Type)
- New 5th Edition (SP10-龍; Blitz Type)
- Attribute: Secret
- Name: Pachy (Japanese)
- Owner: Dr. Z (Alpha Gang), Wild, Ursula (Alpha Gang), Max Taylor (D-Team), Jonathan, Zoe Drake (D-Team)
- Location: Pisa, Italy (it quickly reached Rome)
- Debut: Child's Play
- Dinosaurs Defeated: Spiny, Terry, Black T-Rex (in Super Fusion Move)
- Defeated by: nobody
- Other: The light shining from its head dome can be extremely bright, requiring sunglasses to look at it safely; in turn, it is fascinated by the sun and always chasing after it. It is also very fast.
- Laser Ray
- Pachycephalosaurus charges and unleashes a thick beam or radiating cone of rainbow energy from its thick head dome at its opponent!
- Element: Secret
- Icon: Scissors
- Power: 1800
- Level: 5
- Life: 3
- Card Code: DKTA-043/100, DKTA-099/100
- Card Rarity: Gold Rare, Colossal Rare
- Image From: Ep. 14 anime scene
- [Headbutt] When you Dino Slash this Dinosaur, you can return one of your opponent's Dinosaurs in play to their hand.
- (This Dinosaur can use Super Moves of any Element. It must still meet any other requirements.)
- Attribute: Secret (called Mystery in the game)
- Critical Move: Scissors
- Rarity: 6 Question Marks
- Encyclopedia number: Ex
- Battle Type:
- Blitz Type
- Comments of the encyclopedia: Herbivore with a helmet-like head. Its helmet is nearly 25 cm (10 inches) thick.
- Obtaining: Probably by a downloadable Stone Circle code (however the game's Eoraptor fossil contains Pachycephalosaurus head which might suggest that it is also obtainable by a fossil).
- Other: An Alpha Droid uses a Pachycephalosaurus to fight the player in the Alpha Secret Base of the East Dust Hills. Unlike Deinonychus, it was never distributed so the only way to get it is by using a cheat code. Like all Secret Dinosaurs in the game except Eoraptor, he can only use his own Secret Moves and Alpha Moves.
Pachycephalosaurus was raised from an egg by Dr. Z in the Backlander/Zeta Point at an unclear point during Dr. Ancient's mission, where he often headbutted him. He had a Move Card fused into his head dome, making it into a natural ability of the dinosaur and turning him into the first Secret Dinosaur.
In Child's Play, his card was activated in Pisa, Italy, from sunlight reflecting off a window after a rainstorm. He ran amok, straightening the Leaning Tower of Pisa before running all the way to Rome and causing more trouble there. The D-Team sent Ace after him, but he outran Ace and knocked a line of columns down at him, forcing Rex to call him back. Pachycephalosaurus then ran after the sun, coming across the Alpha Gang. Dr. Z expected him to return to his ownership without question, but when he sent him after the D-Team, he instead ran to a glinting window. Dr. Z climbed up onto him, but he thrashed and threw the doctor off, chasing after the glint off an airplane. Reaching the Colosseum, Dr. Z sent an Alpha Ball to subdue Pachycephalosaurus, but he broke it and attacked. Spiny, Terry, and the D-Team's dinosaurs were summoned, but he ran up the audience seats toward the sun, chased by Spiny. He left Ace to get defeated by Spiny's Tail Smash, getting angry and defeating Spiny when clouds covered the sun; thinking everyone an enemy, he raced over to attack Chomp. Terry and Chomp tried to attack him with Neck Crusher and Lightning Strike, but he charged and fired Laser Ray, defeating Terry and hurting Chomp. But then, Pachycephalosaurus seemingly remembered his bond with Dr. Z, humbly approaching and letting him grab and hug his head…and then, like he had as a child, tossed his head up, launching Dr. Z into the air. However, then the clouds opened and the sun peeked through, and he raced to the top of the Colosseum stands and leapt into the air, using Laser Ray at the clouds before using up too much of his energy, returning to his card as he fell. Ursula grabbed the card, but Dr. Z fell onto her from being thrown, and the card dropped to Max.
Several Pachycephalosaurus appeared in Max's dream in Metal Imbalance.
In the finale, Max gave the Pachycephalosaurus card, along with the other Secret Dinosaurs, to Jonathan, who delivered them to Rex; Zoe then summoned him against the Black T-Rex. Dr. Z jumped onto his back, but Pachycephalosaurus flailed and eventually threw him off. He used Laser Ray as part of the Super Fusion Move that helped defeat the Black T-Rex after the third hit.
A recolored wild Pachycephalosaurus aided Chomp in fighting Terry when Dr. Z sent him after dinosaurs in the Cretaceous Period in Alien Parent Trap.
According to Dr. Z, Pachycephalosaurus was gentle and trusting as baby, even though he often gave the professor headbutts; this was either a sign of affection or a hint he didn't reciprocate Dr. Z's love. He was a very powerful fighter, but had little interest in fighting, instead letting himself be distracted by everything that reflected light, rushing to it but often breaking it in the process. Drawn to light sources that matched his glowing head dome, however, he became angry if anything got in his way when chasing them, but only fought to remove the obstacle. He showed little heed to the difference between friend and enemy, attacking every other dinosaur, but had admittedly been attacked by the Alpha Ball and was justifiably angry. He is also seemingly unaware of his ability to expend more energy than he has, especially by overusing Laser Ray.
He was particularly hostile towards Dr. Z, repeatedly disobeying, running from, or violently reacting to contact with him. Though he seems to warm up after the Colosseum battle, it's not entirely clear whether he really hated the professor or was simply repeating the headbutting action from his youth when he throws Dr. Z into the sky. Even when summoned by a Stone, though willing to follow orders, he still dislikes contact with Dr. Z enough to throw him off again when the professor climbs onto his back. Considering the fact that Dr. Z fused a Move Card to his head dome to turn him into a Secret Dinosaur, it can be hypothesized that his behavior was due to suffering psychological trauma from the experiment.
- Dr. Taylor's arcade card comments:
- Japanese: ヘルメットのような頭を持つ草食恐竜だ。頭のほねのあつさは25cmくらいあった。まさに石頭だ。
- English: A herbivore with a head like a helmet. Its skull's thickness is about 25cm thick. Definitely a bonehead.
- Taiwanese: 有著像頭盔一樣的頭的草食恐龍。頭骨的厚度大約為25公分，簡直就像石頭一樣。
- It is the second Secret Dinosaur to appear in the arcade.
- In the DS Game, it is one of the dinosaurs that has never been distributed, along with Therizinosaurus, Megalosaurus, Fukuisaurus, Fukuiraptor, Gastonia, and Charonosaurus.
- In the arcade, Pachycephalosaurus has the same roar as Acrocanthosaurus and Seismosaurus, though its roar is a little bit different.
- In the Japanese 2007 2nd Edition (English & Taiwanese S2/New 2nd Edition), there were three types of its card. The difference was the word coloring: red, blue, and green.
- Along with Deinonychus and Therizinosaurus, it is one of the available dinosaurs in the Japanese Secret Egg I card.
- It is the 23rd dinosaur available in Fossil Card.
- When Pachycephalosaurus throws Dr. Z into the sky, his motivation is unclear. The D-Team assumes that even Dr. Z's own dinosaurs don't like him, but it instead appears as if he was only repeating the headbutting action he'd always done as a child, making it an accident. Alternately, he may have only been feigning forgiveness to get closer and get revenge. Whichever way, the dinosaur's perspective is never explicitly confirmed.
- When Dinosaur King was still airing, there was a website where you could catch dinosaurs in your own Dino Holders. Strangely, the website depicted Secret Dinosaurs as having one of the six regular Elements. Pachycephalosaurus was shown to have the Lightning Element, thus seemingly extending the range of the Lightning Dinosaurs to the whole of Marginocephalia (ceratopsians and pachycephalosaurians).
- The Pachycephalosaurus in Dinosaur King is larger than current estimates of the actual animal, though it fits with earlier, larger estimates. By modern estimates, Pachycephalosaurus were only about 14 ft long and stood around 5-6 ft (1.5-2.0 m) high at the hips, little bigger than an average man.
- Pachycephalosaurus’ anime roar appears to be a mix of Megaraptor’s and the standard Grass Dinosaur roar.
- Pachycephalosaurus is the only Secret Dinosaur that appeared in the anime also as a prehistoric wild dinosaur (in Alien Parent Trap).
- In the arcade game, although the Pachycephalosaurus card appeared for the first time in the 2007 1st Edition+, it is possible to play it in the first two versions (original and Operation: Dinosaur Rescue) of the arcade with a different barcode.
|p · e · t||Secret Dinosaurs|
|Normal:||Brontosaurus · Cryolophosaurus · Deinonychus · Eoraptor · Megalosaurus · Pachycephalosaurus · Pawpawsaurus · Therizinosaurus|
|Main:||Brontikens · Cryolophosaurus|
|Altered/Armored:||Brontosaurus/Armor · Deinonychus/Armor · Therizinosaurus/Super|