Megalosaurus was the first ever dinosaur discovered that was realized to be one, and was one of the first three animals classified in "Dinosauria" alongside Iguanodon and Hylaeosaurus. There have been a total of 55 different species of Megalosaurus named, but most are now considered other dinosaurs or invalid, as all theropod-like fossil animals used to be named "Megalosaurus something". Because of this, little fossil material of the true animal is actually known, so most of its appearance remains unclear. A 2010 study ignoring outlier specimens greatly shrunk its size estimate from the classic 9-10 meters (30-33 feet) also used in Dinosaur King to only 6 meters (20 feet).
- Name: Megalosaurus bucklandii
- Name Meaning: Great Lizard
- Diet: Carnivore
- Time Period: Middle/Late Jurassic
- Size: 6 meters (20 feet)
- Classification: Megalosauroidea --> Megalosauridae --> Megalosaurinae
- Place Found: England, France, Austria, Romania, Belgium
- Describer: Mantell, 1827
Dinosaur King StatisticsEdit
- Attribute: Secret
- Sign: Scissors
- Strength: 2000
- Technique: 200
- Scissors (Critical): 700
- Rock/Paper: 550
- Reform Type (Japanese Gekizan series & Secret Egg II card)
- Warning Type (Japanese Kakushin 3rd Edition)
- Arcade Nickname: 伝説のプロローグ (Prologue of the Legend)
- Secret Moves:
It was only available in the Japanese version.
- Gekizan 1st Edition (SP10-竜; Reform Type)
- Kakushin 3rd Edition (SP19-竜; Warning Type)
- Kakushin 4th Edition's Secret's Egg II (EGG-021-竜; Reform Type)
- Attribute: Secret
- Name: Megalo (Japanese)
- Owner (1st): Dr. Z (Alpha Gang), Ursula (Alpha Gang), Wild, Rex Owen (D-Team), Max Taylor (D-Team), Jonathan, Laura (Alpha Gang)
- Owner (2nd): Foolscap (Spectral Space Pirates), D-Team (probably)
- Debut: Santa Saurus! (first), The No-Fun Shogun (second)
- Dinosaurs Defeated (1st): Ace, Black Tyrannosaurus (in Super Fusion Move)
- Dinosaurs Defeated (2nd): None
- Armored Form: Spectral Armor Megalosaurus (never used)
- Other: Though the second Megalosaurus' card had the ability to give it Spectral Armor, it was defeated before that could happen.
- Zero G Throw (first)
- Megalosaurus lifts its opponent into the sky with telekinesis, then lets them drop and crash into the ground!
- Gigantic Fall (second)
- Megalosaurus lifts numerous small rocks with telekinesis and throws them at its opponent!
- Element: Secret
- Icon: Paper
- Power: 1400
- Level: 3
- Life: 2
- Card Code: DKTA-044/100, DKTA-100/100
- Card Rarity: Gold Rare, Colossal Rare
- Image From: Ep. 45 anime scene
- [Squeeze] Each player's maximum hand size becomes 5. (Instead of 8)
- (This Dinosaur can use Super Moves from any Element. It must still meet any other requirements.)
- Attribute: Secret (called Mystery in the game)
- Critical Move: Rock
- Rarity: 6 question marks
- Encyclopedia number: EX
- Battle Type: Defense Type
- Comments of the encyclopedia: The first dinosaur to be named. There are still many unanswered questions about it.
- Obtaining: Probably by a downloadable Stone Circle code (however the game's Eoraptor fossil contains Megalosaurus tail which might suggest that it is also obtainable by a fossil).
- Other: It was not used by an Alpha Droid to serve as a boss in the game. Unlike Deinonychus, it was never distributed so the only way to get it is by using a cheat code. Unlike the arcade, the roar of Megalosaurus is that of Brachyceratops.
Like the other Secret Dinosaurs, Megalosaurus was raised by Dr. Z at an unknown point during Dr. Ancient's expedition. He was quite violent as a child and became impossible to tame as an adult, so Dr. Z sent him back into his card and stuck it inside a book for a timeout, but forgot all about him.
Eventually, in Santa Saurus!, Dr. Z accidentally found the card again, giving it to the Alpha Trio to take back the D-Team's dinosaur cards. Reaching the D-Team, Ursula accidentally let the card activate by holding it up by a display of multicolored Christmas lights, and Megalosaurus immediately triggered a Time Warp Battlefield. Like he was as a child, Megalosaurus went on a mad rampage, quickly defeating Ace with Zero G Throw and putting everyone in danger from a meteor shower (that may have been an anime-only ability, or just part of the Battlefield called on by his rage). However, Chomp hit him with Thunder Bazooka and knocked him on a sled (from a Christmas display) into a set of boulders, which defeated him, allowing Rex to claim the card. It later made its way into Max's Dino Holder.
In Dinosaur War!, Max gave his card with the other Secret Dinosaurs to Jonathan to deliver to the others, where Laura summoned him to fight against the Black T-Rex. He used Zero G Throw as part of the Super Fusion Move that defeated it after three hits.
Foolscap summoned another Megalosaurus in The No-Fun Shogun to try and scare off the female ninjas attacking him and Shogun Tokugawa, but it ended up fighting against the Deinonychus trio sent out by Shear, who had amnesia and was now allied with the ninjas. Megalosaurus used Gigantic Fall, but the Deinonychus dodged the attack. They then used their signature 1-2-3 attack chain, Megalosaurus leaning away from Whip Attack and avoiding two of the three Spinning Attack hits before being defeated by a strike from Crossing Attack from behind. Its card was presumably reclaimed by the D-Team in the aftermath.
Shear was briefly seen holding another Spectral Armor Megalosaurus card in a handful of other repeats in The French Conniption, but never used it, only summoning Rajasaurus. It was probably liberated along with the other dinosaurs when the Space Pirates were finally defeated.
According to Dr. Z, his Megalosaurus was very violent as a child and later as an adult was uncontrollable. Whether this behavior was natural or, as with Pachycephalosaurus, was due to the experiments and treatment by Dr. Z is unknown, but since Megalosaurus' skills are based on telekinesis, it can be assumed that Dr. Z converting him into a Secret Dinosaur may have affected him mentally. However, his aggressiveness didn't show when summoned by a Stone in Dinosaur War!, obediently following Laura's orders. Since he was just as aggressive when summoned in Dr. Z's flashback as when activated without a Stone, it can be assumed that, like most Secret Dinosaurs, he was deliberately disobedient to the professor. Though strong offensively, he doesn't seem very resilient, being defeated rather easily for his size, though he may have recklessly tired himself out like Pachycephalosaurus had.
Not much is known about the personality of Foolscap's Megalosaurus, as it was under the control of the Space Pirates. Like all Secret Dinosaurs, it is a powerful fighter, but seems to have difficulty in dealing with fast, agile opponents, being unable to effectively fight against Shear's Deinonychus, though did far better at dodging their attacks than Terry had against Dr. Z's Deinonychus.
- Dr. Taylor's arcade card comments:
- Japanese: 世界でさいしょに命名された恐竜だが、いまだになぞが多い恐竜である。
- Translate: It's still a dinosaur with mysteries, though it was the first dinosaur named in the world.
- Along with Cryolophosaurus, Pawpawsaurus, and Brontosaurus, it is one of the available dinosaurs in the Japanese Secret Egg II arcade card.
- Along with Carcharodontosaurus, Anchiceratops, and Deinonychus, Megalosaurus is one of the few dinosaurs to appear in the same place in both seasons (Carcharodontosaurus was in China, Anchiceratops in France, and Deinonychus and Megalosaurus were in Japan).
- Megalosaurus was the only dinosaur capable of using dinosaur armor in Mesozoic Meltdown that didn't (Cryolophosaurus didn't use armor, either, but Seth had no way of giving it any).
- Along with Deinonychus, Megalosaurus is one of the two Secret Dinosaurs from Season 1 that reappeared in Mesozoic Meltdown as card dinosaurs (and in the same episode, no less).
- Megalosaurus has the same roar in the anime as Gigas's original roar (The Wee Musketeers to Bad Deal). In Dinosaur War!, it had the same roar as the Black T-Rex.
- In the arcade, Megalosaurus has almost the same roar as Apatosaurus, Euoplocephalus, and Mapusaurus.
- Ironically, despite being one of the first dinosaurs scientifically described, it was the last new dinosaur (not counting the Black T-Rex) in the anime's first season.
- As a large theropod, he probably would have been a Fire Dinosaur before Dr. Z turned him into a Secret Dinosaur, although he could also have been a Wind Dinosaur, as other megalosaurids have been both.
|p · e · t||Secret Dinosaurs|
|Normal:||Brontosaurus · Cryolophosaurus · Deinonychus · Eoraptor · Megalosaurus · Pachycephalosaurus · Pawpawsaurus · Therizinosaurus|
|Main:||Brontikens · Cryolophosaurus|
|Altered/Armored:||Brontosaurus/Armor · Deinonychus/Armor · Therizinosaurus/Super|