Megalosaurus was the first ever dinosaur discovered that was realized to be one, and was one of the first three animals classified in "Dinosauria" alongside Iguanodon and Hylaeosaurus. There have been a total of 33 different species of Megalosaurus named, but most are now considered other dinosaurs, as all theropod-like fossil animals used to be named "Megalosaurus something". Because of this, little fossil material of the true animal is actually known, so most of its appearance remains unclear.
- Name: Megalosaurus bucklandii
- Name Meaning: Great Lizard
- Diet: Carnivore
- Time Period: Middle/Late Jurassic
- Size: 9-10 meters (30-33 feet)
- Classification: Megalosauroidea --> Megalosauridae --> Megalosaurinae
- Place Found: England, France, Portugal
- Describer: Mantell, 1827
Dinosaur King StatisticsEdit
- Attribute: Secret
- Sign: Scissors
- Power: 2000
- Technique: 200
- Scissors (Critical): 700
- Rock/Paper: 550
- Reform Type (Japanese Gekizan series & Secret Egg II card)
- Warning Type (Japanese Kakushin 3rd Edition)
- Arcade Nickname: 伝説のプロローグ (Prologue of the Legend)
- Secret Moves:
It was only available in the Japanese version.
- Gekizan 1st Edition (SP10-竜; Reform Type)
- Kakushin 3rd Edition (SP19-竜; Warning Type)
- Kakushin 4th Edition's Secret's Egg II (EGG-021-竜; Reform Type)
- Attribute: Secret
- Name: Megalo (Japanese)
- Owner (1st): Dr. Z (Alpha Gang), Ursula (Alpha Gang), Wild, Rex Owen (D-Team), Max Taylor (D-Team), Laura (Alpha Gang)
- Owner (2nd): Foolscap (Spectral Space Pirates), D-Team (probably)
- Debut: Santa Saurus! (first), The No-Fun Shogun (second)
- Dinosaurs Defeated (1st): Ace, Black Tyrannosaurus (in Super Fusion Move)
- Dinosaurs Defeated (2nd): None
- Armored Form: Spectral Armor Megalosaurus (never used)
- Other: Though the second Megalosaurus' card had the ability to give it Spectral Armor, it was defeated before that could happen.
- Zero G Throw (first)
- Megalosaurus lifts its opponent into the sky with telekinesis, then lets them drop and crash into the ground!
- Gigantic Fall (second)
- Megalosaurus lifts numerous small rocks with telekinesis and throws them at its opponent!
- Attribute: Secret
- Sign: Paper
- Power: 1400
- Level: 3
- Life: 2
- Card Code: DKTA-044/100, DKTA-100/100
- Card Rarity: Gold Rare, Colossal Rare
- Image From: Ep. 45 anime scene
- Each player's maximum hand size becomes 5. (Instead of 8)
- (This Dinosaur can use Super Moves from any Element. It must still meet any other requirements.)
Like the other Secret Dinosaurs, Megalosaurus was raised by Dr. Z at an unknown point during Dr. Ancient's expedition. He was quite violent as a child and became impossible to tame as an adult, so Dr. Z sent him back into a card and stuck it inside a book for a timeout, but forgot all about him.
Eventually, in Santa Saurus!, Dr. Z accidentally found the card again, giving it to the Alpha Trio to take back the D-Team's dinosaur cards. Reaching the D-Team, Ursula accidentally activated the card by holding it up by a display of Christmas lights, and Megalosaurus immediately triggered a Time Warp Battlefield. Like he was as a child, Megalosaurus went on a mad rampage, quickly defeating Ace with Zero G Throw and putting everyone in danger from a meteor shower (that may have been an anime-only ability, or just part of the Battlefield called on by his rage). However, Chomp managed to defeat him with Thunder Bazooka, allowing Rex to claim the card. It late made its way into Max's Dino Holder.
In Dinosaur War!, Max gave his card with the other Secret Dinosaurs to Jonathan to deliver to the others, where Laura summoned him to fight against the Black T-Rex. He used Zero G Throw as part of the Super Fusion Move that defeated it after three hits.
Foolscap used another Megalosaurus in The No-Fun Shogun to try and scare off the female ninjas attacking him and Shogun Tokugawa, but it ended up fighting against the Deinonychus trio sent out by Sheer, who had amnesia and was now allied with the ninjas. Megalosaurus used Gigantic Fall, but the Deinonychus dodged the attack. They then used their signature 1-2-3 attack chain, Megalosaurus leaning away from Whip Attack and avoided two of the three Spinning Attack hits before being defeated by a strike from Crossing Attack from behind. Its card was presumably reclaimed by the D-Team.
- Dr. Taylor's arcade card comments:
- Japanese: 世界でさいしょに命名された恐竜だが、いまだになぞが多い恐竜である。
- Translate: It's still a dinosaur with mysteries, though it was the first dinosaur named in the world.
- Along with Cryolophosaurus, Pawpawsaurus, and Brontosaurus, it is one of the available dinosaurs in the Japanese Secret Egg II arcade card.
- Megalosaurus was the only dinosaur capable of using dinosaur armor in Mesozoic Meltdown that didn't (Cryolophosaurus didn't use an Element Booster, either, but Seth had no way of having it use one).
- Along with Deinonychus, Megalosaurus is one of the two Secret Dinosaurs from Season 1 that reappeared in Mesozoic Meltdown (and in the same episode, no less).
- Megalosaurus has the same roar in the anime as Gigas's original roar (The Wee Musketeers to Bad Deal). In Dinosaur War!, it had the same roar as the Black T-Rex.
- Ironically, despite being one of the first dinosaurs scientifically described, it was the last new dinosaur (not counting the Black T-Rex) in the anime's first season.
- As a large megalosaurid, he was probably a Fire Dinosaur before Dr. Z turned him into a Secret Dinosaur, although he might have been a Wind Dinosaur.
|p · e · t||Secret Dinosaurs|
|Normal:||Brontosaurus · Cryolophosaurus · Deinonychus · Eoraptor · Megalosaurus · Pachycephalosaurus · Pawpawsaurus · Therizinosaurus|
|Main:||Brontikens · Cryolophosaurus|
|Altered/Armored:||Brontosaurus/Armor · Deinonychus/Armor · Therizinosaurus/Super|