Note: Although long considered to be a species of Apatosaurus, a 2015 study concluded that the original species of Brontosaurus excelsus was distinct enough from the type species Apatosaurus ajax to be reassigned to its own genus, taking two other former Apatosaurus species with it; it is unclear which if any particular species Dinosaur King's model was based on.
Various Dinosaur King media alternately call this dinosaur "Brontosaurus" and "Apatosaurus", and they are used interchangeably on this page.
- Name: Apatosaurus ajax / Brontosaurus excelsus
- Name Meaning: Deceptive Lizard / Thunder Lizard
- Diet: Herbivore
- Length: 22 meters (72 feet)
- Time Period: Late Jurassic
- Classification: Diplodocoidea --> Diplodocidae --> Apatosaurinae
- Place Found: USA
- Describer: Marsh, 1877
Dinosaur King Statistics
- Attribute: Secret
- Sign: Paper
- Strength: 2000
- Technique: 200
- Paper (Critical): 650
- Rock/Scissors: 575
- Tie Defense Type (Japanese Gekizan series & Secret Egg II card)
- Lethal Type (Japanese Kakushin series)
- Arcade Nickname: 不滅の雷竜 (Immortal Thunder Dragon)
- Secret Moves:
- Super Moves Occurrence Condition: random
- Armored Form: Spectral Armor Bronto
It was only available in the Japanese version.
- Gekizan 3rd Edition (New; SP13-竜; Tie Defense Type, hidden)
- Kakushin 3rd Edition (SP22-竜; Lethal Type, hidden)
- Kakushin 4th Edition's Secret's Egg II (EGG-021-竜; Tie Defense Type)
- Main article: Brontikens
- Element: Secret
- Icon: Paper
- Power: 1700
- Level: 4
- Life: 2
- Card Code: JCL-089/100
- Card Rarity: Thai Common
- Other Forms: Spectral Armor Apatosaurus
- Image From: (new art)
- Other: As a Special Dinosaur, it is likely locked to Spectre's Character Card, and is used to summon its armored form. Being a Thai-only card, it's unclear if it is named "Apatosaurus", "Brontosaurus", "Brontikens", or another variant (owing to being a Special Dinosaur, it is likely some "Brontikens/Bronto" variant, depending on the translation).
- Abilities: (need translations)
- Along with Megalosaurus, Pawpawsaurus, and Cryolophosaurus, it is one of the available dinosaurs in the Japanese Secret Egg II arcade card.
- Its Secret Moves are all based around electricity, likely referencing Brontosaurus' name, meaning "thunder lizard", although the name was in reference to how its weight would shake the ground like thunder when it walked.
- Apatosaurus's regular non-Spectral arcade form is a Secret Dinosaur, while its Spectral Armor form is a Water Dinosaur with a Spectral mark-bearing pre-armored form. In the anime, the only form to appear is the full Spectral Armor form, and it's a Secret Dinosaur. Both armored and pre-armored Spectral forms appear as Secret Dinosaurs in the TCG.
- In the arcade game and anime's English dub, this dinosaur is only referred to as "Apatosaurus". The Japanese anime uses both names, Spectre/Jark saying "Brontosaurus" but Max/Ryuta using "Apatosaurus".
- It is the only Secret Dinosaur in the series that did not defeat a dinosaur.
|p · e · t||Secret Dinosaurs|
|Normal:||Brontosaurus · Cryolophosaurus · Deinonychus · Eoraptor · Megalosaurus · Pachycephalosaurus · Pawpawsaurus · Therizinosaurus|
|Main:||Brontikens · Cryolophosaurus|
|Altered/Armored:||Brontosaurus/Armor · Deinonychus/Armor · Therizinosaurus/Super|